Picking the right SEO tools is crucial for ranking your site on Google. From keyword research to backlink analysis, the best SEO tools are your secret weapon to crushing your goals.
Lucky for you, I’ve put together a list of the 10 best Google ranking software out there, so you can pick the best one!
What’s the best place to hide a dead body?
Page 2 of Google!
I know it’s a cliche joke but it can’t be more true.
According to a study by HubSpot, 75% of searches never get past the first page of Google.
What’s more, the average click-through rate of the first result on Google, according to a study by First Page Sage, is 39.8% and that of the 3rd result is 10.2%
With these facts in mind, can you expect to get traffic to your website if it’s ranking on page 2 or even below #5?
You want that sweet organic traffic coming in in huge numbers!
So, in this article, I am going to give you a rundown of the best Google ranking software in 2023.
So, let’s dive right in!
What is the best Google ranking software?
For ranking on Google, you need to have the following types of software:
- On-page SEO software: Used for optimizing your content for SEO
- Keyword research tool: Used for finding those sweet keywords that aren’t hard to rank for
- Analytics tool: Used for measuring the search engine performance of your website
- Site audit software: For maintaining the technical health of your site
- Backlink analysis: For building site authority
Based on these requirements, I will list the best Google ranking tools in 2023.
SEMrush is an all-in-one SEO toolkit.
From keyword research to competitor analysis, backlink building and analysis, technical SEO audit, and even on-page SEO audit, SEMrush is the most popular Google ranking software used by website owners and e-commerce entrepreneurs.
Apart from keyword research, another popular feature of SEMrush is its ability to evaluate your competitors and their content. You can easily find out the top-performing pages, backlinks, content, and keywords of your competitors.
Also, SEMrush is definitely my top pick and the one I’d highly recommend.
- Keyword Research: Find low-hanging keywords that are easy to rank for along with their search volume, search intent, and the number of backlinks you will need to rank in the top 10 for the keyword
- Advertising Research: You can also run better ad campaigns by knowing about your competitor’s ad budget
- Traffic Analytics: The Domain Overview feature shows you the performance metrics of a website such as monthly organic traffic, number of keywords ranking, etc.
- Site-Audit: It also has technical SEO features such as a complete site audit telling you about the technical health of your site – broken links, images without alt text, missing meta descriptions, etc.
- Keyword Gap Tool: It is a wonderful feature that lets you find out the keywords that your competitors are ranking for but you are not
- On-Page SEO Checker: Though not its specialty, it also checks your content’s on-page SEO performance by comparing it to the pages ranking in the top 10 for your target keyword
SEMrush offers three pricing plans:
- Pro plan (for newbies and small teams): $119.95 per month
- Guru plan (for agencies and mid-sized businesses): $229.95 per month
- Business (for large agencies and enterprises): $449.95 per month
- You can also get a custom quote for your specific needs
- If you pay annually, you can save up to 17%
SEMrush also offers a 14-day free trial!
2. Surfer SEO
Surfer is inarguably the best tool for on-page optimization of your content in order to rank higher on Google.
The Content Editor is the best feature that allows you to directly write content on the platform and ensure that you hit the optimal keyword density and sprinkle all the related keywords that are required for ranking in the top 10.
These suggestions are based on the data fetched from the select results ranking in the top 10.
After you enter a keyword, you are required to select at least 5 results from the top 10.
Then, on the basis of your selection, it calculates the average values of metrics such as word count, headings, and images, providing you with a benchmark to strive for if you desire to achieve high rankings in search engine results.
- On-Page Optimization: It guides you in writing the best keyword-rich articles to rank on Google and gives your content a score on a scale of 100
- Outline Builder: The AI outline builder generates an SEO-optimized article outline when provided with a title and keywords, improving your speed of producing content
- Content Planner: The Content Planner gives you an effective way to map out a keyword strategy for your website
- Site Audit: The Audit feature gives a purview of your website’s technical health and suggests improvements
- Lite: $29 per month for hobbyists
- Essential: $89 per month for individuals and small teams (the most bang for the buck for beginner bloggers)
- Advanced: $179 per month for experts and mid-sized teams
- Max: $299 per month for agencies and big teams
- Custom enterprise plan to fit your specific needs
- Savings if you pay annually
Ahrefs is the most used SEO tool that can do everything a Google ranking software needs to do.
Keyword research, competitor analysis, backlink analysis, keyword gap, site audit, rank tracking, content research, and finding backlink opportunities; you name it, Ahrefs does it!
It also has free to use account known as the Ahrefs Webmasters Tools that has the following features:
- Backlink checker to check the backlinks for any website
- Keyword difficulty checker to know the difficulty of a keyword
- Monitor your SEO health with site audit (I personally love this feature and I use it myself)
- Discover those keywords that drive traffic to your site
- Get automated email alerts about your website’s SEO health, new and lost backlinks, and keyword rankings
Other key features
- Content Explorer: You can find content ideas for your content strategy from a database containing more than 1 billion web pages
- Ranking History: Discover the ranking history of any keywords used on your site’s pages
- Outbound Links Monitoring: You can easily track where outbound links from your site are linking. This is especially useful in keeping track of the outbound links in your guest posts
- Lite: $99 per month for small businesses and hobby projects
- Standard: $199 per month for freelance SEOs and marketing consultants
- Advanced: $399 per month for in-house marketing teams
- Enterprise: $999 per month for agencies and enterprises
- Savings and 2 months free if you pay annually
If you’re looking for an all-in-one SEO tool within a small budget, then Mangools is for you.
It has a super easy-to-use and easy-to-understand interface that doesn’t have a lot of useless features people probably never use.
Its core features help you with keyword research, rank tracking, link tracking, and SERP analysis.
Look what Brian Dean has to say for Mangools.
- KWfinder: Find easy-to-rank long tail keywords that have exact search volumes and highly intuitive keyword difficulties
- SERPChecker: Find the SEO authority of the ranking websites, and their strong and weak points. Check whether you included relevant keywords in your content
- Rich Snippets Impact: Calculate the impact of rich snippets such as featured snippets, answer boxes, and carousels to estimate your chances of organic results engagement
- SERPWatcher: Track your keyword rankings over time
- Link Miner: Discover your competitors’ backlinks and find opportunities to create backlinks for your own website
- SiteProfiler: Find the SEO authority of any website, identify the backlink profile strength of a website, find new competitors and similar websites, identify content that generates traffic for a website, etc.
- Basic: $49 per month
- Premium: $69 per month
- Agency: $129 per month
- Save up to 35% with annual plans
- 48-hour money-back guarantee
- It also offers a 10-day free trial
5. SE Ranking
SE Ranking is the best all-in-one Google ranking software used by agencies and businesses. Like SEMrush is for independent content creators and bloggers, SE Ranking is for agencies and businesses.
Also, it is a bit less expensive than SEMrush and Ahrefs. If you don’t have a big budget, you can go for SE Ranking that offers technical SEO audit, competitor research, basic keyword research, etc.
The SEO Management tool primarily lets you track your keyword rankings, backlinks, etc.
One downside is that the keyword research feature doesn’t provide in-depth metrics for keywords and doesn’t allow applying filters for finding low-competition, long-tail keywords like in the case of SEMrush and Ahrefs.
- Keyword Rank Tracking: One key feature of SE Ranking is its rank-tracking feature that allows you to track your site’s ranking for a given keyword. In fact, their pricing plans are based on the number of keywords you want to track
- Backlink Monitoring: It checks your website’s backlinks activity. It looks for any new backlinks you have earned or any lost or damaged backlinks you need to fix
- White Labelling: It is a unique feature that lets you brand your SE Ranking reports with your brand name and logo
- The ability to connect to Google Analytics and Google Search Console to show in the dashboard
- Essential: $39 per month
- Pro: $89 per month
- Business: $189 per month
- Save 20% with annual plans
- It also offers a 14-day free trial
6. Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a goldmine of insights when it comes to ranking your site on Google.
It tells you all the keywords your website is ranking for, their average position in the SERPs, the impressions they get, etc.
GSC provides a fantastic way to find keywords for your content strategy. Here’s how it works:
Go to Google Search Console and go to the Performance tab. Select only the Impressions and Total clicks views.
Now, take a quick scroll down and check out all the keywords (queries) your website is ranking and getting impressions and clicks for in the search results.
In the image above, you’ll find a breakdown of the keywords (blurred) for which I’m receiving impressions. What you want to look for is keywords that generate a significant number of impressions but few clicks.
This indicates that your website is not ranking high enough for those keywords, resulting in fewer clicks. Bingo! That’s where the opportunity lies. Take that keyword and craft an SEO-optimized article around it.
In my case, the keyword with 550 impressions but no clicks stands out (as shown in the image above). If I can manage to secure a spot on the first page of search results for that keyword, I can attract a substantial amount of organic traffic to my website.
And the best part? Google Search Console is free to use!
Moz is the oldest page ranking software or SEO tool in the industry with its roots going back to 2004.
Have you ever heard about the DA (Domain Authority) of a website? This metric was introduced by Moz and is still used as the most reliable metric to rate a website’s SEO strength and authority.
The higher the DA of a website, the higher its ability to rank on Google.
Moz is a pervasive SEO tool that can perform everything from keyword research to backlink analysis, from rank tracking to site auditing.
Further, you can also install the Moz Bar Chrome extension that shows you the important metrics of the websites ranking in the SERPs on the search results page itself.
- Keyword Research: Find useful keywords for your content strategy
- Rank Tracking: Track the keywords that you rank for and how these keywords perform over time in the SERPs.
- Site-Crawl: Discover and fix common technical SEO issues that may hinder your site’s ability to receive high-quality traffic, rank, or be indexed by search engines.
- Link Research: Gain valuable insights into your website’s authority and rankings. Measure crucial factors such as backlinks, linking domains, anchor text, and the most valuable pages on your site.
- Title Tag Preview Tool: Moz has a free tool that allows you to check whether your titles fit in the SERPs (whether they are too long or they are fit for the SERPs)
- Standard: $99 per month
- Medium: $179 per month
- Large: 299 per month
- Premium: $599 per month
- Save 20% with annual plans
- A free 30-day trial is also available
8. Screaming Frog
Screaming Frog is another popular tool that can help you improve your position on search engines.
It is arguably the best website audit tool on the internet that doesn’t leave any issues unnoticed no matter how small or sneaky they may be!
- XML Sitemaps: Quickly generate XML sitemaps that are ready to be submitted to Google Search Console for better and faster discovery of your content
- Duplicate Content Check: Duplicate content can hurt your SEO. Screaming Frog makes sure that your site doesn’t have any duplicate content, URLs, and other exact elements
- Missing Tags: Any missing tags such as meta description, image alt tags, header tags, etc. can’t go unnoticed by Screaming Frog
- Audit Redirects: Discover temporary and permanent redirects, pinpoint redirect chains and loops, or even upload a list of URLs to conduct a thorough audit during a site migration
- Audit Schedule: Set audit frequency with the scheduling feature so that you automatically get new reports and metrics about your website along with all the necessary improvements
- Free version if you need to crawl up to 500 URLs
- Paid version for $259 per year if you want to crawl more than 500 URLs
Seobility is a cloud-based SEO management solution designed to assist businesses in effectively managing backlink monitoring, website crawling, and site auditing tasks.
It provides a unified platform that allows employees to streamline website optimization, visualize data, conduct competitive analysis, and monitor keywords.
- Rank Tracking: Track daily keyword rankings on different search engines and
country or city levels
- Backlink Checker: Monitor SEO Backlinks, spy on your competitors, and find ideas
for link building
- Keyword Checker: Ensure that your website’s on-page optimization is thoroughly checked and content is appropriately optimized for crucial search terms
- TF*IDF Tool: Analyze the top-ranked successful content on Google and optimize your pages for topical relevance using the TF*IDF tool
- Basic: Free (newbies and hobbyists)
- Premium: $50 per month with a 14-day free trial (small and mid-sized businesses)
- Agency: $200 per month (for large websites and agencies)
Serpstat is a comprehensive search engine ranking tool that has evolved over time.
Originally focused on keyword research, it has now transformed into a versatile “growth hacking tool” with a wide range of features.
In addition to keyword research, Serpstat offers functionalities for link building, technical SEO, PPC, and much more. It provides businesses and marketers with a robust set of tools to enhance their search rankings and drive growth.
- Tree View: This feature of Serpstat helps you identify those pages which are ranking on page 2 of Google and take them to the top. It’s the simplest way to take your underperforming pages to the top.
- Cluster Research: This feature helps you expand your pool of keywords for a sound content strategy. Just enter a seed keyword and you’ll gain access to a list of search queries that are directly related to your chosen keyword. This valuable information can be leveraged to optimize your web pages and improve their performance in search engine rankings.
- Connection Strength: This is a keyword metric that is a part of the Cluster Research tool that shows how many websites ranking in the top 20 for a given keyword are also ranking for all the related keywords.
- Search Suggestions/Questions: Fetches you a list of all search queries that are closely related to your seed keyword. These are usually in the form of questions or long-tail keywords.
- Lite: $69 per month freelance SEOs and individuals
- Standard: $149 per month for established in-house teams and marketing agencies
- Advanced: 299 per month for large marketing agencies
- Enterprise: $499 per month (perfect for industry leaders)
- Save 20% with annual plans
Organic traffic is, was, and will be the best source of highly targeted traffic. It can be tough to rank high in the search results, but with the right strategies and the right Google ranking software, you can definitely make it happen.
When choosing the right SEO tool for your site, before making the final decision, keep these things in mind – your experience level, your requirements, and your budget.
Most of the tools above have free trials so you can test them before you get on board with any of them.
And finally, my top picks are SEMrush (best overall) and Surfer SEO (for on-page optimizations).
Which SEO tool are you going to use to rank your site? Tell me in the comments below!
If you find the post helpful, consider sharing the post on your social media and make my countless hours more meaningful.
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. TIA if you decide to purchase through me 🙂
Ali is a passionate and experienced blogger with a mission to teach others how to start their own blog, monetize it, and become successful in the process. He shares the lessons he’s learned on his own journey through personal anecdotes and factual examples.